All photos and text are property of Dave Forney and may not be used without express permission.

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Karamoja Trip (Part 2 of 4)

Last week we enjoyed having my parents visit from the U.S.  At some point I'll share some photos from their time here... but I'm really behind on photos right now, so rather than delving into ones which I haven't even looked at yet, I thought I'd return to a previous series that I started several months ago. Karamoja.


You may remember that way back in April, before I went to Nepal, and before the craziness of the busy summer season, I had just begun to share with you about a trip that my oldest son, Britt, and I took up to Karamoja.  We had the privilege to join a small group from our sending church in the U.S. for a week of visiting, praying with, and encouraging local pastors in remote village locations throughout the region.  If you you don't remember that previous post, or missed it, you can see/read it by going here.  

Above is a photo of a handsome elder walking down the dusty road in Moroto. Below is a picture of the Karamoja area throughout which we travelled many miles, visiting and praying with many national pastors, and seeing their churches and communities.  I just love the vast open country and limitless sky of far Eastern Uganda!


Here's some random pictures of some of those visits/meetings and a few of the people with whom we met, along with some services we held.







It was also great to see the Karamojang peace villages that I've heard so much about over the years. Below is a school that our sending church in the U.S., Good Shepherd Community Church, helped make happen for the children who live in the peace villages.  


Speaking of kids, there were always tons of them around--curious about who we were and what we were doing.  They were especially interested in Britt, who was often surrounded by many youngsters.  Below, while we were changing a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, he had the chance to explore a bit of the Savannah on his own.  He was disappointed not to find any lions or leopards, but still came back with a smile on his face.


Kids love having their picture taken. Frequently they gesture to the camera indicating they want a photo.  Then, of course, they want to see the photo on the camera screen.  If I ever get back up into these remote villages, I'd love to print some of these out to give to them.




These kids are carrying water back to their huts. Those jerry cans are HEAVY! And much of the water-hauling is done by the kids and women...it's often a very long haul too!


Speaking of water, here's a man-made reservoir in the area.  I had seen it a number of times from the air, but never from the ground. It was pretty cool to see it from this perspective as the sun was setting.  It's amazing that even in the driest part of dry season it still has water in it.


Check back again soon and I'll have some more shots from our Karamoja trip.

No comments: